Today is the day SiriusDecisions set the record straight.
Jen Ross & Marisa Kopec unveiled SiriusDecisions new research on B2B buying process and in doing so made a simple but powerful clarification that should open the collective eyes of sales & marketing organizations around the possibilities of digital marketing supported sales prospecting as a competitive difference maker.
The original 67% stat was “67 percent of the buyer’s journey is now done digitally”.
However it often got spun colloquially as: “Buyers are 67% of the way through the sales process before they want to speak to a sales rep.”
The implications of the misinterpreted stat were:
- Buyers don’t want to talk to reps
- By the time a buyer wants to talk a rep, they are 2/3 of the way through their buying process
The overall message to sales was one of helplessness and disempowerment.
It was WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.
Today at the SiriusDecisions 2015 Summit we learned about the recent SiriusDecisions study of over 1,000 different B2B buyers from actual purchase processes and we got clarification that: Buyers aren’t 67% through the buying process when they want to talk to a Person/Rep. 67% of the buying process may involve digital content consumption, but the sales/rep engagement is threaded throughout that buying process and spans all stages.
And here’s where it’s most interesting, as I live Tweeted as the event.
The sales and marketing organizations who can partner and enable reps to leverage digital tools to get visibility and engage with prospects will create a massive competitive edge. What we are talking about here:
- Expanding data sources of potential prospects
- Leveraging scoring to prioritize best fit leads based on company attributes, web behavior and social interaction
- Leverage social marketing, content and teleprospecting techniques to build credibility as authority and engage with prospects as early in the buying process as possible
- Use tools to best tailor conversations and understand where buyer is in the buying process
- “Rinse and repeat” to deliver useful content to support them through their buying process, wherever they may be
The impact will come from properly harnessing reps around digital interactions. It's about Sales AND Digital and how they work together through the ENTIRE buying process.
Much more empowering for sales reps and teleprospecting.
Much more inspiring for aligned sales and marketing teams to go after this together.
And great news for all the great digital technology vendors at #SDSummit who can add value to help companies build that aligned sales and digital marketing demand generation machine.
- SiriusDecisions BusinessWire press release summarizing these findings on B2B buying process
- OpenView Labs Recap - Debunking the myth that buyers are 67% through the buying process before engaging with a sales rep
- OpenView Labs Infographic - Top stats from SiriusDecisions Summit